Tuesday, December 12, 2017

A Very, Very Thunderbird Christmas



When I was a Junior in high school I had my first "real girlfriend". I had started dating her in the summer, I'd had my eye on her for awhile and I finally got up the nerve to ask her to dance at one of the Park Board's Summer Tennis Court Dances, we hit it off and became a couple. By the time Christmas rolled around, we were pretty "thick" as my Mom used to say. Lots and lots of kissy face and my clumsy first base moves were happening.

Our family Christmas was traditionally Christmas Eve at my dad's folks house and Christmas Day at my mom's parents. I invited my girl friend, she accepted with the condition that we leave early enough to get to her house so we could open presents with her parents and her younger sister. Perfect.

My dad was feeling the spirit of the season and offered to let me take any car I wanted off the used car lot to drive over the holiday, I picked this one.


A 1960 Thunderbird Coupe, 390 V8 with black and white leather interior, was my girl impressed? She was. I wore a blue blazer, gray slacks, crew neck gray sweater and had a shirt and tie on underneath the jacket and sweater. She wore a red Bobby Brooks sweater and skirt combo.(remember the line from John Mellencamp's Jack and Diane?)

She was a hit at the Christmas Eve celebration, she played piano with my grandmother, sang hymns and smiled sweetly as I did my annual bible reading. We ate, opened presents and hit the road for the 26 mile drive to her house. It was Christmas cold, 20 below and clear as a bell. We stopped and parked. The Thunderbird had a terrific heater, it was on full blast. The Bird had front bucket seats so we climbed in the back. We started kissing and one thing lead to another, the next thing we knew all of our clothes .were in the front seat and we were as naked as the baby Jesus in the back. It was great, first time for me and for her, being naked that is. We didn't do anything beyond kissing and enjoying our skin touching. What a Christmas present! From that Christmas on we were always naked, in the car, in her bed, on my bed, in the cabin or on the boat at the lake, on top of the ski jump in Lincoln Park and too many picnic tables to remember.

Funny thing is that we went together for almost 3 years and never actually had sex. But we sure made love in every other way possible.

So Merry Christmas Ms X, hope your memory of that remarkable Christmas Eve is as good as mine.

5 comments:

  1. I'm just glad you didn't forget your bible reading on that memorable night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd done it so many times, I had it memorized.

      Delete
  2. And all that without mistletoe!
    A warm memory indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bible reading part brought me to tears Bobby. I've spent quite a few Christmas eves with you over the years Bobby and a bible would have had no place at any of them.

    ReplyDelete