Wednesday, February 13, 2019

I Won't Grow Up Without Putting Up a Fight...


Ever had your ass kicked and been punched in the gut at the same time? I have and it put a grin on my face. The car is mean, it's an American car. A state of the art,, electronically controlled throwback to the days of the muscle cars, the cars of my youth.


On the Freeway entrance ramp, I floor it in 1st gear, the car sidesteps a tiny bit until the computer takes control and modulates the traction, I shift into 2nd gear at 5800 rpm, the car dances to the side again, into 3rd at about 90 mph, the car dances again. When I hit 100 mph, I slow the car down to a steady 75 in the left lane, I shift in to 6th gear, the tachometer drops to 1700 rpm, the exhaust at the back of the car is barely rumbly. The cabin is quiet, the ride is smooth, there is no wind noise. The car has a Tremec 6 speed manual transmission.


The 8 speed automatic is faster, smarter and quicker than I am, The manual is more fun. It doesn't take me long, but I can rev match a downshift with this car. The Tremec is a great transmission.

This Challenger doesn't have the big engine, it has the 3rd highest rated, a 485 hp, naturally aspirated 392 CID Hemi V8. That means it has no supercharger. It does have cold air induction. This car is two years old, the previous owner, an old motorhead like me tastefully modified the car, he installed Eibach springs, inproving the handling and lowering the car 2 inches all the way around. He added a custom set of black 20 inch alloy wheels and upgraded the tires to Pirelli P Zeros. When he ordered the car he added the Brembo brake package, the SRT full computer control program built into the dash screen. The challenger has a black carbon fiber Hellcat hood, the top insert is painted black to match and so is the deck lid. He also electronically chipped the engine's computer, I'm guessing it makes around 500 hp.


The car has the full SRT interior, black leather and Alcantra sport seats with red seat belts. And it has a 10 speaker Alpine audio system.

I pull over on a side street a block or two off the Freeway. I set the suspension on TRACK, dial back the traction control to the SPORT setting. I set the engine controls on TRACK Performance and get back on the road. I'm on the old Santa Susanna Pass Road, it's twisty and it goes up and down hill, some of the turns are tight, but it has it's fair share of broad and fast sweepers. God damn this is fun. The Challenger is front heavy and it understeers, give it some throttle and the car settles into a tighter line. I'm not pushing it hard, just hard enough to have some fun, on one of the tighter right hand turns, I get into the throttle heavy, the rear end steps out, the car and I drift through the turn. It's well balanced and easy to drive, even though I probably just took 2,000 miles off the rear  tires. I turn left on Topanga and head back to the Freeway. Just as I crest Rocky Pass I see a red (aren't they all) Ferrari in the rear view mirror.

Image result for picture of red ferrari f40

He comes up on my left side, he takes a long look at the Challenger and sprints ahead. I catch up and we both slow down and let traffic clear ahead of us, we're in the two middle lanes of the 4 lane road. I shift down to 2nd gear at about 60 miles an hour, I have no idea what gear he's in, he honks his horn three times and off we go. I'm right in the middle of the 392's power band and jump ahead about a car length, he catches me just as I shift into 3rd, he screws up his shift and he falls back again. The Challenger has a 3500 dollar Borla stainless steel exhaust system, at speed it sounds like a NASCAR racer. The Ferrari has that insane Italian howl. I'm trying to imagine what the pickup, Honda and Toyota drivers we pass are thinking as we fly by them at well over 120 mph. Damn this feels good. I get off at Tapo Canyon, The Challenger is snapping and barking as I slow down. The Ferrari follows me, We pull into a church parking lot, I think it's a Methodist church. I park and shut the car off, he follows suit. We both get out smiling. He say's "Is that one of those Hellcats?" I tell him, "No it's the Hellcat's little sister." He's an old bastard like me. We bond over the speed.

Good times on the road in California. And no I can't grow up.

5 comments:

  1. The Challenger had the Borla ATAK exhaust system, here's the sound.

    https://youtu.be/GfsnbvyGRsQ?t=158

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you two guys wearing them fancy Dan helmets like the guy in the video? And I'm sure you both wore your seat belts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobby, I had a brand new '66 Cyclone GT. White rag top with Red racing stripes with red leather interior and
    a tach on the floor. I'll never forget putting my mom behind the wheel and my father yelling, "Floor it Bette!" She put us in the back seat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post Bob. You hit a great stride, obviously this is your beat! And it reads like you hit some great speed.
    Unless you've raced, legal or on the street, you've missed an adrenaline pump that is fitting of the word rev.

    ReplyDelete