Sunday, March 1, 2020

Those who won't save themselves,,,


Our business manager was an older woman, widowed, the mother of one, lazy, dependent daughter in her 20s. 

She had the most essential trait required for a business manager, she treated the company's money like her own. She was extremely religious, she kept her religion to herself and that was a good thing.

Tuesday morning she limped into work, I asked: "what's wrong with your foot?" Her answer, "I stepped on something, it will be fine."

Thursday morning, she was using a cane and her foot was so swollen she was wearing a flip flop on her left foot and a regular shoe on her right. Friday it was even harder for her to get around, her daughter had to help her to her desk.

Monday, she was in a wheelchair, her foot was twice it's normal size, the swelling was moving up her leg.

"What did the doctor say?"

"I haven't been to the doctor, I'm praying." She said.

A few more days went by, she was in agony and at the point where her left leg was enormous. I sat across from her, "You have to go to the doctor."

"No Jesus will help me, I've been praying so hard, I know he will help me, I'll be fine, don't worry."

I was worried. Worried about blood poisoning, worried about gangrene, worried she would lose her leg. 

I called her daughter. "Don't worry, mom will be fine, our minister was over last night and we all prayed together."

She was worse the next day, still wouldn't consider going to the doctor. I sat down with her again and asked her a question. She was a believer and she was stubborn. I had an idea, I took my shot.

"Would God have allowed us to gain the knowledge, the knowledge needed to heal the sick, to save sick little children, the ability to study and discover the miracles that have saved millions of people. if it wasn't his will for us to save ourselves and others?"

"I don't suppose he would have."

"Good I'm taking you to the emergency room because that's what he wants you to do, that's what you need to do. It's his will, he wants you to be in the hands of one of his skilled doctors and he wants you to go now."

I drove her to the emergency room. She had stepped on a needle her useless daughter had dropped on the floor. The needle in her heel had worked its way up to her ankle. The infection was to her thigh, she had blood poisoning. The doctor said she was days away from losing most of her leg. After 5 days in the hospital and a week at home, she was back at work. 

She attributed her recovery to fervent prayer.

Her minister came to see me, "You are an instrument of God."

I told him to piss off.

1 comment: